Thanks Giving


Some things I am thankful for:

•   our lovely little home, its coziness, its solidness, everything it has offered us in security, safety, and containing (barely) our love and hijinks
•   my family: those here: Spitfire, Boy Wonder, Bug, and Gpa; those not: Geeps and Gma, Mimi and Magic, Nana Banana (wherever you are), Keen
•   butterflies birds & bees, and other critters
•   sunshine, almost every day of the year
•   the cat, who tears up the furniture but has put up with us all these long years and loves her little boy
•   the dog, who hears no more and has slowed in her gittalong, but has been my co-pilot for 16 years and has eyes for no one but me
•   the bird girls, who give me eggs everyday tho I promise them nothing
•   good neighbors, who I hesitate to ever leave, tho the house grows ever smaller
•   Gpa, who helps me out and keeps me company, and his presence the thing we never knew we were lacking that makes our family tree sturdier rooted in this desert’s harsh soil
•   Bug, who has brought me this far and I’d be lost without, who keeps me grounded and allows me to soar, who gives me the craziest gifts like these here young’uns
•   Spitfire, who keeps me on my toes and conspires with me to lofty heights (nothing is beyond your reach), and animates my world
•   Boy Wonder, who populates it with sound effects and who shows surprising sensitivity and thoughtfulness, taking care of those older than him, and is always interested in the same geeky things I am (geography, puzzles, Legos, trains, Star Wars…)
•   books, their writers, their pages, their printers and publishers and agents and all the business that goes into getting them on library shelves and into our waiting hands and minds
•   art, in all its forms, even if it’s disturbing and I don’t want to look at it, and those brave or brazen who make it
•   my hands, that help me care for those around me and make art and write when I can muster it
•   technology, that brings together communities and information to seekers, despite its many flaws
•   trees, grass, crops and all things green, growing & beautiful
•   water, that nourishes all this, the earth, our food, us
•   food, the hands who make it, the hands who grow it, the warmth a lovingly prepared meal gives the house
•   health, the good health of my family and friends, and access to great healthcare, including so many amazing professionals we’ve been lucky enough to find, who help us care for ourselves and others
•   community, those we gather around us, good friends, budding and potential friends, the energy we give and get back
•   work, the purpose it gives us and the security it gives back
•   ideas, those we can’t shake and those that shake us up
•   beauty, which I can’t seem to escape, tho admittedly I don’t try

No comments:

Post a Comment